Monday, June 13, 2011

Should age be a factor?

I was told by someone the other day that I was too old to start a career.  The person said that I should have started my career years ago and should be nearing the end.  They had asked me what I was doing.  They made this comment when I stated that I was starting my Ph.D. program and wanted to teach at the college level.  The person said that I would not get a job teaching there because I had to start at the bottom, elementary or high school.  Then he said I was too old.  The person made the assumption that I had not been working all of these years.  The fact is that I have over 29 years of work experience plus over 10 years of volunteer service.  I worked for the government for 11 years; ran a business for 9 and have been working for UAB for 9 years.  He walked off as I was telling him this.

As I thought on the conversation, I wondered if employers would look at me as being too old. Would they just assume things about me because of my age?  I am not computer savvy or inflexible, not open to new ideas, will not be around long enough for them to get their investment in me back. 

There are a lot of advantages in hiring seasoned people.  Some of us are great on computers.  Some of us are not tied down with small children so we can be flexible in our time and attention and are open to new ideas, visions, thoughts and dreams.  Some have useful experiences and do not mind sharing.  Some of us do not mind that our supervisors may be younger than we are.  As for staying around longer, age is no guarantee.  There are just as many funerals for the young as there are for the old. 

Do I not have the right to go for my dreams no matter my age?

4 comments:

  1. You definitely have the right to go for your dreams whatever they may be. Especially in this day and age, people are changing careers more and more often. We are a society that craves change. Employers should be aware of this too. As long as you have confidence in yourself, they will too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jaime, you definitely have the right to continue with your education. I am starting over with a new career, so I hope employers want "seasoned" employees. I am excited for you and send you many prayers. Missi

    ReplyDelete
  3. and YES, YOU have a right to your dreams!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You not only have the right, you have a responsiblity to go for your dreams. Someone is watching you and wants to be like you. You are blazing a path for that individual. Because of the seed you plant they will reach for the stars and make it.

    ReplyDelete