Friday, July 8, 2011

One Important Concept in Teaching

CHILDREN LEARN WHAT THEY LIVE
 By Dorothy Law Nolte

If a child lives with criticism,
he learns to condemn.
If a child lives with hostility,
he learns to fight.
If a child lives with fear,
he learns to be apprehensive.
If a child lives with pity,
he learns to feel sorry for himself.
If a child lives with ridicule,
he learns to be shy.
If a child lives with jealousy,
he learns what envy is.
If a child lives with shame,
he learns to feel guilty.
If a child lives with encouragement,
he learns to be confident.
If a child lives with tolerance,
he learns to be patient.
If a child lives with praise,
he learns to be appreciative.
If a child lives with acceptance,
he learns to love.
If a child lives with approval,
he learns to like himself.
If a child lives with recognition,
he learns that it is good to have a goal.
If a child lives with sharing,
he learns about generosity.
If a child lives with honesty and fairness,
he learns what truth and justice are.
If a child lives with security,
he learns to have faith in himself and in those about him.
If a child lives with friendliness,
he learns that the world is a nice place in which to live.
If you live with serenity,
your child will live with peace of mind.
With what is your child living?

This is one of my favorite poems because it so well illustrates the effect negative or positive we have on our children.  This is true for all whom they may encounter especially teachers.   When I was about 12, our schools in Culpeper, Virginia were integrated.   The year prior, they asked students at the black school if they wanted to go to the white school.  My twin was one of those who said yes.  I said no because I was looking forward to going to the black high school, George Washington Carver.  I envisioned myself being a cheerleader, marching in our annual parade and participating in many of the other activities that schools put on.  At our elementary school, I was into everything from the first grade up to the seventh.  I wrapped the Maypole; sing in the Glee Club, my twin and I were flower girls in the production of Tom Thump’s Wedding.  I was in it all so I was looking forward to continuing in high school.   That next year, they did not ask but told us we had to go.  They closed down Carver High School and even changed the name to Piedmont Vocational School. 

Those were my first years in high school and my worse.  I remember our math teacher passing out algebra worksheets, then he walked by all of the black students and said “you all are not going to learn this anyway so I not going to bother.”  He made us feel lower than low.  And as he predicted, we did poorly in that class.  I went from an “A” student to a “barely making it” student.  I felt like I was nothing but stupid.  The black students were geared toward a general diploma and were not even told about the college prep diploma or courses.  After that first year, we didn’t think we could make it through high school much less college.  At every turn, we had someone in authority telling us that we were less than.  But out of all of that, came one teacher who taught geography.  I wish I could remember his name, but one day after another failed test, he looked at me and said “I know you can do better and that is what I want from you.”  From that day on, at least in his class, I made A’s and B’s.   He gave us hope because he believed we could.  So, it is so important to have teacher who have positive attitudes toward our children.  They have the power to take a beautiful mind and aid it in its growth, expansion, and the possibilities of achievement or destroy it before it even has time to even know its possibilities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment